grizzlyzone: (Default)
I am I, and you are you.
I do my thing, and you do your thing.
I am not in this world to live up to your expectations,
and you are not in this world to live up to mine.
If by chance we meet, it's beautiful.
If not, it can't be helped. - Fritz Perls, M.D.


Back in the days of black light posters and strobe lights, I saw this saying and I remembered it. Last night, the spirit moved me and I successfully managed to find it out on the Internet.

It's just a little something I like to remember from time-to-time. I thought I would share it with you, for the moments in your life when you feel that you aren't good enough, not smart enough, and doggone it, people don't like you.
grizzlyzone: (Dummies)
From time-to-time, we all find ourselves in a situation where we are asked to make trivial decisions. Generally, these trivial decisions involve the likes and dislikes of other people, and we want to make sure we make sure that we please EVERYONE.

grizzlyzone: (Dummies)
"The first 90% of the job takes 90% of the time. The remaining 10% takes the other 90% of the time."

Things take more time than you'd expect.
grizzlyzone: (Dummies)
"Everything is connected to everything else."

This was the first of "The Three Laws of the Universe". I'm reminded of it all the time, particularly when I find a link between two things I never thought would be connected.
grizzlyzone: (Dummies)
"There ain't no such thing as a free lunch."

Science fiction readers may recognize this one. When I first saw it, it was the second of "The Three Laws of the Universe". It means that everything is going to cost you one way or another. Nothing is truly free.
grizzlyzone: (Dummies)
"If you meet Buddha on the road, kill him."

The above saying has nothing to do with death or violence. It is a metaphor which is saying, among other things, that there is no easy path to enlightenment, and, if you find one, reject it, as it is false. Grasshopper.
grizzlyzone: (Dummies)
The singing pig rules goes: "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It's a waste of time and irritates the pig.".

What this means to me is that there are some times when you shouldn't butt in, when you shouldn't give advice (solicited or unsolicited), when you shouldn't try to change the status quo; because it's a pointless effort and won't gain you any friends.
grizzlyzone: (Dummies)
Once, I went to O'Hare International Airport with my friend, Lee. We were to pick up a friend of his that was scheduled to arrive. I dropped Lee off in front of the terminal, with the hopes that he would find the friend and meet me back outside the terminal where I would be waiting in the car.

The minutes stretched on, and I had to go around a few times at the direction of the traffic cops. Eventually, the wait became more than an hour. I knew a place on the lower level where I might be able to park for a short time without getting towed, and I went into the terminal looking for Lee. Because this was an arriving passenger, I waited near the baggage claim area.

I was being "logical". Arriving passengers have to pick up their checked bags, so waiting for them at baggage claim was the right thing to do. Waiting at the gate after the plane had come in was illogical as the passengers would have gone on to baggage claim. And, as the passengers would be arriving, and the very nature of airport design steers arriving passengers away from ticketing and towards baggage claim, so ticketing would not bed a good spot to wait.

Of course, Lee and friend were not waiting at baggage claim. Or, the gate. They were waiting at ticketing. When I eventually met up with them, I was livid. I was doing the "logical thing"! How could they not see that?

Lee explained that his friend had no checked any bags and instead had carried his bags onto the plane. Because of that, they avoided the crowded baggage claim area, and waited at ticketing. (I don't remember what level I dropped them off at.)

Lee replied, "What is logical to you, is not necessarily what is logical to me." I named that my second life lesson.
grizzlyzone: (Dummies)
When I got my first computer many, many years ago, it came with something like 256K (yes, that is Kilobytes) of RAM. My first add-on purchase was a Memory Plus Expansion Card with 0K RAM. Now, I could add some RAM, however, the memory chips themselves would have to wait.

A friend then gave me a handful of RAM chips salvaged out of an Apple computer. I was a bit amazed that something from an Apple computer was going to work in my PC. They did.

Which made me realize my first life lesson: Parts is parts. Objects can have multiple uses, sometimes radically different for what they were originally intended. You can't look at objects and just see one definition for them, or one use for them. Things can be used for a variety of uses and that's limited only by your imagination.
grizzlyzone: (Dummies)
If a loved one EVER says to you that they have something very important to tell you and they want to tell you on "The Jerry Springer Show", end the relationship right there, that very second and move away. You do NOT want to know!

Profile

grizzlyzone: (Default)
grizzlyzone

October 2011

S M T W T F S
      1
2345678
9101112131415
16 171819202122
23242526272829
3031     

Syndicate

RSS Atom

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 22nd, 2017 04:33 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios